Sunday, December 28, 2008

Blink 2

Several years ago while driving into work one morning. It was very early, perhaps 3:00 am, as i often worked when i couldnt sleep. A car apeared in my rear view mirror. It was gaining on me fast and often strayed across the white lines.

As it approched i pulled over into the farthes lane to avoide the must be drunk driver heading home. Then, as they passed along side me, time slowed. I looked into the cab of the small pickup truck.

The driver was wide eyed, both hands firmly gripping the wheel. A look of terror on his young unshaven face. Beside him, a woman. One hand on his arm, the other on the passenger door. Both feet up on the dash, her face red with all the emotion she had within her. A baby was on its way.

As time approached full speed again, they pulled off the interstate at the Rex hospital exit and sped off into a new life.

An hour later as i sat at my desk attempting to quieten my breathing and scribing topo lines within 4/1000 of an inch. I thought of the two, now becoming three. As my life was calm theirs was hectic. I smiled... Its going to be a good day.

R.

#160